DRIP Phase II & Phase III
- Based on the success of DRIP, Ministry of Jal Shakti initiated another externally funded Scheme DRIP Phase II and Phase III. This new Scheme has nineteen (19) States, and three Central Agencies on board. The budget outlay is Rs 10,211 Cr (Phase II: Rs 5107 Cr; Phase III: Rs 5104 Cr) with rehabilitation provision of 736 dams. The Scheme is 10 years duration, proposed to be implemented in two Phases, each of six year duration with two years overlapping. Each Phase has external assistance of US$ 500 M. The Union Cabinet has approved the Scheme on October 29, 2020.
- The Phase II of the Scheme is being co-financed by two multi-lateral funding Agencies - World Bank and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), with funding of US$ 250 million each. The loan agreement with World Bank (US$ 250 million) has been signed between DEA, MOF and World Bank on 4th August 2021. 10 States (Gujarat, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Manipur, Meghalaya, Rajasthan, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, and Chhattisgarh) and Central Water Commission participated in this event. World Bank has appraised 5 more states (Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and West Bengal) for inclusion in the scheme on September 27-28, 2021. The Loan Agreement and the Project Agreements with World Bank have become effective since October 12, 2021.
- The funding pattern of Scheme is 80:20(Special Category States), 70:30(General Category States) and 50:50(Central Agencies). The Scheme also has provision of Central Grant of 90% of loan amount for special category States (Manipur, Meghalaya and Uttarakhand).
- The Scheme has four components; (i) Rehabilitation of dams and associated appurtenances to improve the safety and operational performance of selected existing dams and associated appurtenances in a sustainable manner, and (ii) Dam safety Institutional Strengthening to strengthen the dam safety institutional setup in participating States as well as on a Central level, (iii) Incidental Revenue Generation for sustainable operation and maintenance of dams, and (iv) Project Management.
- Detailed information about the Scheme is available on official website https://damsafety.in/