In exercise of the powers conferred by section 6A of the Inter-State River Water Disputes Act, 1956, the Central Government notified the Cauvery Water Management Scheme on 1st June, 2018, inter alia, constituting the ‘Cauvery Water Management Authority’ (CWMA) and the ‘Cauvery Water Regulation Committee’ (CWRC) to give effect to the decision of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal as modified by the Hon'ble Supreme Court vide its Order, dated 16th February, 2018. CWMA & CWRC have so far carried out the mandated job as per the above Gazette notification successfully.
The main achievements of Cauvery Water Management Authority and Cauvery Water Regulation Committee upto 25.04.2022 are as under:-
- Fifteen meetings of CWMA were conducted.
- 61 meetings of CWRC were conducted for effective Monitoring of Hydro- meteorological situation in Cauvery Basin.
- Rules of Business of CWMA/ CWRC have been prepared and finalised.
- The monthly quantum of water to be ensured at the Billigundulu site of CWC in a normal year in light of the Hon'ble Supreme Court Order dated 16.02.2018 was agreed by CWMA during its first meeting itself held on 2nd July, 2018.
- The Annual and Seasonal reports of water account for water years 2018-19, 2019-20 and 2020-2021 (i.e. June, 1st to May 31st) were prepared/ finalised by CWRC and the Annual and Seasonal reports of water account for water years 2018-19 and 2019-20 also approved by CWMA.
- Arrangement regarding monthly apportionment of 7 TMC of water to be released to UT of Puducherry by Government of Tamil Nadu was agreed by CWMA during its 5th meeting held on 25th February, 2020.
Action is being initiated to develop the website of the CWMA.